Click on the title graphic box to view a PDF of the historical artifacts.
This page includes links to artifacts saved since 1844 - photographs, newspaper articles, previous histories, celebration commemorations, a history of the different Central locations, early church bulletins, etc. The album of artifacts was assembled by Central Member Ellen Schmidt.
CENTRAL PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH TIMELINE
The first group of artifacts includes:
- a timeline of the complete history of Central divisible by location and pastor eras with accompanying local and national history events.
EARLY PASTORS AND OFFICERS
The first group of artifacts includes:
- a compilation of drawings and photographs of the first six Central pastors surrounding an early photograph of the church at Lucas and Garrison.
- hand written registers of the original elders and deacons at Central dating back to 1844 and continuing through 1910.
EIGHTH AND LOCUST ERA ARTIFACTS
This section of the artifacts is concerned with the church during the years of 1848-1876 at the Eighth and Locust location. Included are:
- Grave marker of the first two pastors, Alexander Van Court and S.F.P Anderson.
- The register of the first pastors.
- A sketch of the 8th and Locust building.
- Photographs of early prominent members, St. Louis Mayor John Wimer and future Attorney General to Abraham Lincoln, Edward Bates.
- Correspondence, receipts and account registers from the early years.
- An example of a commitment to pay a pew tax, the accepted way to finance churches in the mid-1880s.
- Documents from the Civil War era.
LUCAS AND GARRISON ERA ARTIFACTS
This section of artifacts includes:
- Budgets and statements from the 1890s.
- Reports on outreach.
- Profiles of Dr. and Mrs. Brank.
- Documents referencing the new building project at Lucas and Garrison.
- A copy of the Compton and Dry 1875 sketch of St. Louis including the Lucas and Garrison location.
- An old photograph of the Lucas and Garrison location with an insert of Rev. Mauze.
- A photograph of the beautiful Lucas and Garrison sanctuary which sat 1000 worshippers.
- Information about short term pastors, A.F. Carr and Edward Mack.
1883 HISTORICAL DOCUMENT AND DIRECTORY
In 1883 a pamphlet was written documenting the history of Central to that date. The booklet also included the directory of the membership.
CLARA AND DELMAR ERA ARTIFACTS
These artifacts include:
- Information about search for a new church property, and pictures of the new church facility at Clara and Delmar.
- Descriptions of the new stained glass windows donated to Clara and Delmar and subsequently moved to Hanley and Davis.
- Information about the resignation of Dr. D.C. MacLeod and the hiring of PastorJames Fowle.
- Various picturres from the era and announcements of evangelists that visited Centtal.
HANLEY AND DAVIS ERA ARTIFACTS
The Hanley and Davis artifacts include:
- Newspaper clippings reporting on the merger of Central and Clayton Presbyterian Church.
- Information about Dr. Walter Langtry, the pastor at Clayton Presbyterian who became the Pastor Emeritus at Central.
- Much information about the building, financing and celebrating the new building at Hanley and Davis.
- Information about the next pastor, Theodore Smylie.
- Documents referencing the campaign to "Save Central" after the ravishes of The Depression caused major shortfalls in paying for the new building.
- Information about Dr. B. Frank Hall who became senior pastor in 1938.
- Information about Dr. J. Layton Mauze, Jr., senior pastor from 1949-1970.
- Information about Dr. Andrew Jumper, pastor from 1970-1991.
REPORT OF THE 1931 HANLEY/DAVIS BUILDING COMMITTEE
The report of The Hanley and Davis Building Committee in 1931.
OVERVIEW OF THE 1931 HANLEY/DAVIS BUILDING
The published overview pamphlet of the new Hanley and Davis Church in 1931.
1931 CONSECRATION SERVICE FOR THE HANLEY/DAVIS BUILDING
The worship folder from the 1931 consecration service of the new Hanley and Davis facility.
CELEBRATION SERVICE FOR THE 1934 90TH ANNIVERSARY
Information about the 1934 90th Anniversary celebration.
CELEBRATION SERVICE FOR THE 1944 ANNIVERSARY
Information about the 1944 100th Anniversary celebration.
CELEBRATION OF 10 YEARS AS PASTOR FOR FRANK HALL
Information about the celebration of B. Frank Hall's first ten years at Central as senior pastor.
1955 CHILDREN'S BUILDING ARTIFACTS
The Children's Building was completed in 1955. The artifacts include:
- Newspaper articles about the capital campaign.
- Renderings of the building as it was to look after completion.
- Many photographs of the construction process.
- Photographs fo the dedication ceremony in 1955.
- Many pictures of children involved in ministry at the new facility.
1955 DEDICATION SERVICE FOR THE CHILDREN'S BUILDING
The 1955 Children's Building order of worship to celebrate the new facility.
1978 HISTORY DOCUMENT
A documented history of Central Presbyterian Church written in 1978 by the then Director of Communication, Pierre Baptiste.
1978 HISTORICAL ARTIFACTS FROM CENTRAL CHRISTIAN SCHOOL
In 1978 Central launched a campaign to greatly enhance the Central School for the Early Years at 700 South Hanley Road. The artifacts include:
- Photographs of the ground-breaking.
- The litany for the ground breaking ceremony.
- Many photographs of the construction.
- Resources that celebrated the completion of the work.
1982 CENTRAL CHRISTIAN SCHOOL BUILDING PROPOSAL
In 1982, due to the immediate success of the Central Christian School building and the need for more space, both for the school and the church, a proposal was launched to greatly enlarge the Hanley Road property. That plan did not come to fruition.
1994 CELEBRATION OF THE 150TH ANNIVERSARY
In 1994, Central designated a weekend in April to celebrate 150 years as a church. Information about that joyous celebration will be included shortly.
VARIOUS CELEBRATIONS THROUGHOUT CENTRAL'S HISTORY
Over the course of Central's history, the church was always quick to celebrate God's faithfulness. This section of artifacts documents some of those celebrations.