What Is Preserved Wisdom?
Preserved Wisdom is a history depository. The epicenter of the project is the history of Central Presbyterian Church in Saint Louis, Missouri. The church was established in 1844 and has called five Saint Louis locations home since then. The scope of the Preserved Wisdom has evolved as more has been learned about the church and its place in the history of the City of Saint Louis.
The initial intent of Preserved Wisdom was to develop a sermon archive – a place to store and present the sermons delivered by senior pastors of the church. The archive currently includes more than 1450 sermons sorted by date, pastor and scripture reference. Sermons from 1970 to 1981 are preserved as copies of the original manuscripts, scanned and saved as PDF documents. The sermons from 1982 to the present have been transcribed as audio MP3 files and can be streamed through a computer or mobile device.
We believe the preaching of God’s Word is inspired and timeless and worthy of preserving.
- Since Central Presbyterian Church’s founding in 1844, many historical artifacts have been saved. Our goal is to preserve these Historical Artifacts through better organization and by scanning the most important to digital files presented as PDF documents. This archiving and uploading will be an ongoing process.
- Central’s history was last officially recorded through the publication of a book, “Stones of Remembrance“ written in conjunction with the celebration of the 150th anniversary of the church in 1994. This work, faithfully compiled and written by Marilyn McCarthy, is now out of print. An original copy of “Stones of Remembrance” has been scanned and converted to PDF documents.
- Historical Storylines. We are starting a new analysis and documentation of church history. By researching the archived historical documents in conjunction with the vast resources now available on the internet and building them into a new project we will reflect a new angle on the history of the church. This new history will be presented in the form of video vignettes and written expositions about the church covering the first 90 years of the its existence, 1844-1934. New online storylines will be added periodically.